Timeline of the Mural

  • 1910: Mural is painted by Ben Zion Black.
  • 1939: Chai Adam merges with Ohavi Zedek, Chai Adam building closed.
  • 1939-1986: Chai Adam building is sold and used for a number of commercial enterprises, eventually it is converted to a carpet warehouse; murals remained visible on ceiling.
  • 1986: Building is purchased for conversion into apartment units. Archival images are taken before the mural is sealed behind a wall with the expectation it will never be seen again.
  • 2010: Lost Shul Mural Committee formed at Ohavi Zedek, the Committee is unable to obtain rights to mural from owner at that time.
  • 2012: Offenhartz Inc. purchases apartment building and offers to donate the mural to Ohavi Zedek Synagogue if it can be extracted.
  • 2012-2013: Lost Shul Mural Committee researches the feasibility of extracting the mural and restoring.
  • 2013: Plans are finalized and international fundraising campaign kicks off to finance the rescue and restoration of the Lost Shul Mural.
  • 2014: Mural conserved in situ.
  • 2015 (May): Mural moved to Ohavi Zedek.
  • 2015 (August): Mural Unveiling.
  • 2015 (Oct-Nov): Conservation studies to determine methodology for final restoration.
  • 2016: Planning and fund-raising for complete restoration; development of educational and exhibition components begins